- The cargo is delivered in special cell that is a part of the drone,
- The cargo is dragged by drone outside of the drone construction.
The main players are:
- Alibaba ,
- Amazon Prime Air,
- DHL Parcelcopter,
- Google Project Wing.
|Project||Type||Landing||Drone weight, kg||Cargo weight, kg||Speed, km/h||Radius, km|
|Amazon Prime Air||Copter||+||Max 25||2,26||80,5||16|
|Google Project Wing||Plane||Winch||8,5||1,5||?|
The common disadvantage:
- The cell for the cargo has bad aerodynamic and strictly limited with the cell dimensions,
- The drone constructions are tough enough to carry themselves and the cargo. Correspondingly that increases the weight of the drone and decreases the ratio of cargo weight to drone weight,
- Total cost of the delivery is quite high,
- There are constraints regarding the shape of the package.
- The construction of delivery drones is quite complex. There are many actuators to control the flight and to land the delivery.
- Universal land and water cargo landing is not considered. And generally landing is quite sophisticated process. Google Wing uses special line to put the package on the ground. Alibaba delivery drone, Amazon Prime Air and DHL Parcelcopter perform landing on the ground that is doubtful in real environment urban as well as rural. There can be cars, dogs, children, electromagnetic fields, radio jammers and other obstacles to perform the landing safely.
Generally speaking guys use the same approach for military drones, for toys and for delivery drones.
The author proposes using inflated (e.g. with air or with helium) delivery package:
- as a fuselage during the flight; Cx, Cy and wind power usage are regulated changing pressure, i.e. size and shape of the fuselage,
- as parachute and means of cargo landing during the landing. Speed of landing and amortization at land is regulated changing the pressure. Water landing and floating on water surface are possible as well.
The simple construction of the main part of drone (just a propeller, 2D actuator and engine) can be used. The main drone can be also any standard drone including ones from Alibaba, Amazon, DHL, Google. The package-fuselage(s) can be a part of the delivery drone as well as separated dirigible-plane. The wide range of fuselages and drones can be used to combine them for the flight depending on cargo weight and shape, weather conditions, logistic reasons etc to make the delivery more flexible and cheaper.
The delivery package should be used as a fuselage which can be prolongation of the main part of drone as well as be separated as some kind of dragged dirigible-plane. The delivery package should be inflated as a balloon to form fuselage. The cargo should be strapped to the package with tense line or another kind of rope in order to fixed inside the fuselage and not to touch its surface.
The package-fuselage provides the best ratio of fuselage weight to fuselage volume or fuselage surface square.
The package-fuselage can be made of ribbon if size should be changeable. Otherwise any hermetic material could be used.
The construction of the main part of delivery drone is recommended to be maximally simple and cheap. For instance, in case of the delivery package is prolongation of the main part of delivery drone, there may be enough to have one propeller that is connected to the 2D actuator to be oriented to the required direction.
If wind direction is the same as required for the delivery and if wind speed is enough, the fuselage may be inflated bigger to utilize wind power.
Take off may require some initial speed or high initial position in air.
Landing of the cargo can be done separating the package-fuselage from the drone. Then it falls with limited (regulating the pressure) speed. Near the land the pressure should be increased to make soft landing and after the landing decreased in order wind not to drag the fuselage. In case of water landing the remaining pressure should be enough to float on the water surface.
The following is proposed:
1. Usage of the delivery package as a delivery drone fuselage or as a part of the fuselage
2. Usage of the delivery pack as a parachute and for amortization during the landing
3. Usage of the delivery pack for the floating on the water surface in case of water landing
4. Strapping the cargo inside the delivery package with tense lines or another kind of rope
5. Inflating of the fuselage to regulate its shape and size, i.e. Cx, Cy and wind power usage
6. Arranging flexible delivery due to variety of delivery packages and drones
7. Delivery of the cargo by the delivery drone inside the delivery package that is part of the drone or dragged by drone as separated vehicle, separating of the delivery package in order to land the cargo, reducing the speed during the cargo landing and high inflating right before landing to provide soft landing, leaving enough pressure to float at water surface in case of water landing
The patent is pending